All the latest news here..

How should Armed with Wings characters look?

Fully black, silhouettes.
29%
Shaded, detailed models.
71%

Total votes : 214
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Art style Survey

by Daniel Sun Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:51 am

I'm running a survey on the future of the Armed with Wings art style. I'd love to get as much input as possible.

The question is: Should Armed with Wings introduce higher levels of detail into it's models, or should they remain completely black silhouettes?

Take a look at these images - the left features fully shaded character silhouettes, and on the right is more shaded, detailed models.

Please vote and voice your opinion on your preference.
Guest users, please vote / voice your opinion - no registration is required.

Blackout, a user here on Sun-Studios has posted a lengthy thread debating the art style of Armed with Wings. Check out his post here.
Spasticink

Re: Art style Survey

by Spasticink Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:52 pm

While the straight silhouette is a classic, I'd have to say I prefer the slight coloration, because it gives the characters more personality and charm. It would also make me feel like I am playing an actual totally facelifted game, instead of just some reskined AwW3.
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

by Blackout Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:53 pm

First, I just want to start off saying... wow. It's already only been 1 day (not even) since the debate topic was posted, and there's already this poll here going on! The creator indeed listens :D .

Before I move on though, It's not necessarily the detail in the AwW art that I've been debating. I'n fact, there is a whole section in the post linked at the bottom of D-Sun's post about why I, most of the time, like the detailed artwork and think it is actually really good! The conflict is just how the artwork/how the characters are portrayed in the game and cut-scences(which, I believe, the shaded artwork is being planned on becoming, not the silhouette character sprite within the game itself). But still, I am really thankful that D-Sun started this topic(really, thank you so much Dan 8-) ).

If anyone wants to see my full position(with a LOT of pretty visuals), feel free to check out the thread yourself: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1373

But I'll just post 1 clear example down here concerning the detail of the character sprites:

I'm sorry to recycle pics here, but I don't feel like image hunting again. This is a cut-scene comparison between detail. Sorry it took so long to put up :oops: .

However, if we are going to talk about the artwork style above in comparison to classic AwW anyway, I think this edit would make our case of more ambiguity a bit stronger:
I choose this one because the edges aren't so jagged in the pitch black conversion and it looks more like the picture was drawn as a silhouette in the first place.
Zyphon
Nova
Nova

by Zyphon Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Overall, I like the detailed Style more.... but the detailed version of Leo looks a little... odd.
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:10 pm

I like the black silhouettes more because they leave more room for imagination. AwW always had that atmosphere of mysteriousness to it and the detail shading seems to give out a little too much. AwW 3 shading was maybe a good idea.

Of course with cinematics and arts it's different thing, there details are ok.
My Art Thread | My Portfolio || 16thSquadSanseki on: deviantART | Twitter | tumblr || Avatar: Zergling by CarBot Animations
Cycloneblaze

by Cycloneblaze Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22 pm

I like the detailed pictures over the silhouettes. At the same time, though, I think a lot of detail detracts somewhat from the art style. Taking as an example this image, the full black silhouette isn't enough detail, but the other picture is too detailed. It (as 16thSquadSanseki said) doesn't leave enough to the imagination.
I think there's already a good example of the best type of shading in AwW 3 / Culmination. I'd rather you stuck to that, rather than moving towards more detail. Just my two cents :)
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Cycloneblaze wrote:I like the detailed pictures over the silhouettes. At the same time, though, I think a lot of detail detracts somewhat from the art style. Taking as an example this image, the full black silhouette isn't enough detail, but the other picture is too detailed. It (as 16thSquadSanseki said) doesn't leave enough to the imagination.
I think there's already a good example of the best type of shading in AwW 3 / Culmination. I'd rather you stuck to that, rather than moving towards more detail. Just my two cents :)

Yes good point, I think there may be a little TOO much detail in my recent concept art. I'd like to more detail in than AwW3 - I'm sure I'll find a good balance. The detail that I've added in Rearmed may be perfect... will do another blog post on armedwithwings.com soon.
Cycloneblaze

by Cycloneblaze Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Daniel Sun wrote:[...]will do another blog post on armedwithwings.com soon.

I'll look forward to see how it's progressing. :)
Trigger Happy Rabbit

by Trigger Happy Rabbit Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:23 am

Hi D-Sun, let me start by saying I played AwW from the first on through the newer editions and loved them all. Truly great work. One of the things that made the games so great was their art style. Now, after not playing AwW for a year or so I find out that it might be coming to Steam (i'm psyched, to say the least). That aside, what i actually wanted to say is that I think a middle ground between the original black silhouettes and the new, shaded models would look best. I think the art needs some changes in style, a face lift if you will, without sacrificing the spirit of the game For example the new (shaded) artwork for AwW looks amazing because it has only slight detail. The level of detail on Vandheer Lorde and Gaaz however is just too much. I think you should add some detail but you should keep it very minimalistic.

That last sentence sums up my standpoint. Do add detail but keep it light by keeping it dark :P. I think it will also make the "traditionalists" pretty happy too. Thanks for reading my opinion, I really hope to see the finished version of AwW Rearmed. I'm sure its going to be amazing!
Trigger Happy Rabbit

by Trigger Happy Rabbit Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:26 am

Bwahahaha!!! Ok, so I just realized that the last date on a post on here is from like, 2012. Just ignore me, replying to two year old posts... wow i feel stupid... i'll just shut up now.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:55 am

Hey dude, 2012? nah this forum is still active! Your comments have been noted in my mind forever!

by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:25 pm

I believe the amount of detail in AWW Culmination would be right during gameplay for the new games.

by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:30 pm

Maybe, Dan, you could find a sweet spot between the two? Because its really hard to choose between the two.
Kalk

by Kalk Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:22 pm

16thSquadSanseki wrote:I like the black silhouettes more because they leave more room for imagination.

I agree. I voted for the black silhouettes. I enjoy the uniqueness of it. I haven't seen any other animations which do this.
Black
Shouting Nova
Shouting Nova

by Black Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:29 am

Guest wrote:I believe the amount of detail in AWW Culmination would be right during gameplay for the new games.

This right here.

I loved how Culmination had minor detailing and the shading too. Now that doesn't mean details aren't good it's just if you do add them, don't make them TOO detailed.

The thing I really love about AWW is the very strong immersion feeling you get. You control a Samurai which name that has yet to be revealed and does not talk(As in audio, not words) giving it a even more mysterious feel and immersion.
With him only been black with minor shading gives more imagination to who I think of the Samurai as and see him as.

Making him too detailed kills that imagination for me.

I mean below the picture below is just.........Exhilarating! Beautiful environment and shading of the character.

isyriel

by isyriel Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:27 am

they should be fully black with a bit of gray to show shading. its a world of blackmist, i dont think high detail fits the scene ... also, solid black makes other colours really stand out and make an impression
Zyphon
Nova
Nova

by Zyphon Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Odd how most people who are actually posting are advocating for less detail, yet more detail has more votes in the poll.
Black
Shouting Nova
Shouting Nova

by Black Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Zyphon wrote:Odd how most people who are actually posting are advocating for less detail, yet more detail has more votes in the poll.

It seems to me that only players who are new to the AWW series or has only played one of them would vote for more detail.

If you played all the games in the series you would probably vote for less detail because you would get the kind of feel of what kind of game it is and what makes it standout.
Zyphon
Nova
Nova

by Zyphon Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Black wrote:
Zyphon wrote:Odd how most people who are actually posting are advocating for less detail, yet more detail has more votes in the poll.

It seems to me that only players who are new to the AWW series or has only played one of them would vote for more detail.

If you played all the games in the series you would probably vote for less detail because you would get the kind of feel of what kind of game it is and what makes it standout.

Not so, I played all of them from the beginning, starting back when only the first was around.

I still voted for more detail. :P
Carl123
Newb

by Carl123 Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:03 am

I voted for the detail. But I'm fine with silhouettes too. I can pay no mind to the detailed clothes but I feel like the heads should be completely dark, it seems more interesting if that were so.
There should be more detail than the silhouettes I think, but not much more because I truly believe that there is genius in simplicity. And I suppose that it is also fitting for the black-mist theme to be simplistic.
The detail on the lone warrior in the rearmed trailer is the best model of what I'm suggesting. Something in between two options perhaps.
This is somewhat extraneous but I prefer Vandheer's old design, the fur coat and baggy pants. I think he looked super cool in AwW 3. Furthermore, I can discern that Vandheer in the more recent pictures appears somewhat less robust than in previous iterations, in fact he seems as gracile as the lone warrior. I think that Vandheer's new helmet looks great but maybe it can have a more narrow visor. Vandheer Lorde could perhaps make better use of tougher features such as the ones I've listed.

As for cinematic styles, I would have to choose the more detailed one,in AwW3, the cinematics look great.

Then again, it would make sense to change designs if you were looking towards rebooting the series.

I find those things to be trifling however because I can count on this game being great if it is being developed by DSun.
Last edited by Carl123 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black
Shouting Nova
Shouting Nova

by Black Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:40 am

Zyphon wrote:
Black wrote:

Not so, I played all of them from the beginning, starting back when only the first was around.

I still voted for more detail. :P

Of course that isn't the case for everyone but mostly it would be.

Hopefully there will be an option that allows you to add more detail or keep them black.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:26 pm

I've just added in such functionality into Rearmed last night :)
So you go to the settings menu, there is an VFX tab witch toggles between a few different options [none, black, color]. Pretty neat :)
Return to News